Skip to main content

Visualizing A Photo, Graphics and Marketing Studio


     
     
























I haven't been able to write so often these days because I have shifted my focus to creating the rewards pages for our upcoming KickStarter Project, which you can find in my pages links to the right.

Every step of the way, the work is more than one realizes.  At first I thought we would have half a dozen rewards based on the model of other KickStarter projects but then realized that we should be out own model and think of this along the lines of the New York Gift Show which we used to be preparing for at the start of each year. The concept is similar- taking advance orders to be filled in an estimated lead time. Why not offer our fundraiser supporters a similar line of selections that we offered at the NYC Gift Show ?


As I am creating the pages I am imagining the way I would like to be working - with a photography and graphics studio and office space and a team of assistants to train and develop.


Portrait of a Midcentury Tumbler. Due to Hurricane Sandy our introduction to the new York City antiques      market is postponed until next March, providing a better situation in NYC at that date

In my youth I attended Pratt Institute. After graduation I worked as a colorist at a textile corporation in NYC. There I discovered that I was always the best colorist on the team in the places where I worked. This was not a talent that I was taught but a natural talent, despite my art school education, I didn't realize it was a special talent until I worked in the textile industry.

Years later I was acquainted with a Swiss photographer who was telling of not being able to find good printers and I said that I would like to learn photography printing. Being that he was Swiss- and German Swiss at that , he told me that I would not be a good printer because I am an American and Americans can't do anything right. None the less, I prevailed and in a week he was declaring that I was the most talented printer he had ever worked with.























                                           Baby Manatee KickStarter Reward
 
When a person has a natural ability they also need to have an environment in which that talent is identified and valued and first of all to exercise that talent. Today there is a need for photographic and graphic talent in the micro economy as venues such as Etsy transform that marketplace. I find images on Etsy much more interesting than what I often find see in other more main stream venues in which product after product presented with out any individualistic expression.

One has to build an interactive network on Etsy  in order to produce a stream of more interesting images. This is done by joining what was at first called "circles" but is now called "following". As one builds a network of people that one follows it generates a continual stream of images created through the favorites and treasuries of the members of the circle. Etsy sells hand-crafed and vintage items. The shop owners are commonly also the photographers. Particularly in the vintage category one can see the difference a good photograph makes  A good image gives a shop an edge because  people who make treasuries are always on the lookout for those good images and favorite them and when that happens the image becomes part of the stream of activity and the chances of a sale are increased. Etsy is such a large venue that without the social networking, ones work can easily be lost in the multitude.

Etsy is a venue for millions of micro businesses. In today's political environment being small - even being micro has an advantage in not being subject to mandates and regulations that are increasingly affecting larger businesses. The micro economy is generally overlooked by "economic development" experts because those experts focus on concentrated levels of employment and capital. To use an analogy from physics, one can say that the 'economic development experts" focus within the classical domain, while the small craftsmen and other micro businesses exist in "the quantum level of accuracy"- which in physics means they are invisible to those whose focus is within the classical domain. However what goes on in the quantum domain affects what takes place within the classical limit.























                                         The Tall Pelican KickStarter Reward 

Getting back to my visualization of the way things should be for our small company. I am seeing a large space where one can maintain standard photo setups that are always ready to go and then more space where one can create unique setups as needed. I see another room where people can be working on graphics and marketing. The space will serve the needs of Andersen Studio but also be available to rent on an hourly or daily basis for others who wish to take their own photos. This would provide a valuable service to many businesses. The marketing team could potentially take on other marketing clients. Some of those clients can be represented on our website as additional lines by American designer-craftsmen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Difference Between Writing for Substack and Writing For Medium

Substack is evolving as the medium where the writer has the freedom to evolve new forms as Medium shows indications of becoming more regulated. Shubham Dhage Unsplash I published a story on  Substack  less than 24 hours since I began composing this post. It had already exceeded by more than double my average number of reads two posts ago. The previous post exceeded the same average by 50% and that was over a few days and so I must be doing something right, which is just granting myself permission to be me. There are no editors on Substack. There   are no rules- You are in charge of instructing yourself on how to be you. Films that I find engaging, do not necessarily have storylines that follow a straight line. Sometimes it’s a mystery of complexities that draws one in — or not. Shubham Dhage Unsplash I have always been the kind of person who thinks in circles or better-said spirals. When I was in high school I dreamed I was walking across the footbridge in the small coastal town of Boo

Decentralized Opportunity Zones is the Future of Work-Life Balance

In the Portland, Maine industrial opportunity zone, a homeless shelter is planned as a residence in a business but businesses in residence are not permitted. Stephanie Klepacki Unsplash Homelessness is not an isolated social status. It is the extremity of continuous social-economic fabric, with each thread interwoven to create the whole. The Homeless Tax Shelter The homeless shelter proposed by the Portland, Maine city council is advanced by  developers taking advantage of 2017 opportunity zone tax advantages . There are multiple social issues entangled in the political web of the proposed homeless shelter, starting with why is a homeless shelter being proposed in an industrial zone? To all appearances, the Portland, Maine homeless shelter will be financed using opportunity zone tax advantages for investors. an assumption based on the location of the planned homeless shelter in an  opportunity zone  and that the developers charged with the financing are intimately connected with  the

Nature vs Machine: Will Human Evolution Bifurcate?

As one stream flows deeper into an artificial world, an alternate current follows the way of nature. How will this play out in human evolution? Michael Dziedzic   Unsplash I wish I could remember what the crystal clear logic of the dream I was waking up out of this morning, was about. It was an epiphany occurring in the realms of consciousness to which my present point of focus has no access, and yet can feel its effects, bubbling up from the depths as momentum transporting crystal clarity, and eluding objectivity. The previous day I read a marketing article about data analysis. The author portrayed data marketing experts as having the ability to determine with utmost certainty how customers view a company. The companies themselves merely hold beliefs and have no access to the realms of knowledge that data experts will deliver with their algorithm artistry. I thought of the many questionnaires I have filled out delimited by pre-formatted choices, none capturing what I really feel about